Friday, March 28, 2014

Privileges

From The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions...

O LORD GOD,
Teach me to know that grace precedes, accompanies,
and follows my salvation,
that it sustains the redeemed soul,
that not one link of its chain can ever break. 
From Calvary's cross wave upon wave of grace
reaches me,
deals with my sin,
washes me clean,
renews my heart,
strengthens my will,
draws out my affection,
kindles a flame in my soul,
rules throughout my inner man,
consecrates my every thought, word, work,
teaches me thy immeasurable love.
How great are my privileges in Christ Jesus! 
Without him I stand far off, a stranger, an outcast;
in him I draw near and touch his kingly sceptre. 
Without him I dare not lift up my guilty eyes;
in him I gaze upon my Father-God and Friend. 
Without him I hide my lips in trembling shame;
in him I open my mouth in petition and praise. 
Without him all is wrath and consuming fire;
in him is all love, and the repose of my soul. 
Without him is gaping hell below me, and eternal anguish;
in him its gates are barred to me by his precious blood. 
Without him darkness spreads its horrors in front;
in him an eternity of glory is my boundless horizon. 
Without him all within me is terror and dismay;
in him every accusation is charmed into joy and peace. 
Without him all things external call for my condemnation;
in him they minister to my comfort,
and are to be enjoyed with thanksgiving. 
Praise be to thee for grace,
and for the unspeakable gift of Jesus.


1 comment: